Monday, November 22, 2010

Just like the originals !

Another part of the jigsaw just arrived......
Lifter inserts, nitrited and with circlips just like the originals as used in PreA and Denzel motors :-)

Sunday, November 21, 2010

Cannonball Brakes Pt 2

The second stage of the "Cannonball" brakes is complete....
If you want to brake late no good using those skinny original brake shoes.
Today we machined the front drums, ready for some bigger ones :-)

Thursday, November 18, 2010

Cooking on Gas!

Things are moving along now at a rate of knots, it's all hands on deck with the Cannonball on the horizon!
Our OOCrasa heads are now machined to accept 80mm Nicasil cylinders, If the original Nicasil's were good enough for Porsche to use on the 917's, then they are for sure good enough for us ;-)
Next step will be to put the heads on a flow meter to get some numbers, that is after we finish the manifold modifications.......

What a dilemma!
It's looking like the most Cannonball fun will be in the smaller displacement class, so we are thinking...................
Which Porker crank?
Run the 74mm crank and enter the 1500 class or 64mm crank and the 1300 class..... Mmmmmmm

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

A pinch of this and a dash of that.....

Here's a very cool Blog we've been following for a while now, Shinya Kimura, formally of zero engineering.
He's now started Chabott engineering and still doing his stuff, mixing a little of this with some of that to fabricate some amazing creations.
He's very much like us .......... who wants to go to a shop to buy all your parts when you can think outside the box and make them yourself.......
Shinya we take our hat's off to you!

Monday, November 15, 2010

Cannonball Brakes

2 are better than 1 !
The first stage of the "Cannonball" front brake modifications for the '53 are just about complete .......

Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Plan B

We've spent a lot of time thinking about the gearboxes of the '53 & '54.
Many hours of calculations, working out ratio's and various scenario's, in the quest the get the maximum out of these boxes.
We came up with what we thought was the ideal solution......
Then it was a hunt for someone who could actually make what we wanted, a Spiral bevel to Klingelnberg Palloid system, or to put it in plain English, a new R&P.
We eventually found someone who could make it, but before we went ahead and had these made we did more calculations and realised that for the R&P we wanted it would require us to machine the inside of the gearbox to make everything fit snugly.
This wasn't really an option, as we thought it would weaken the gearbox and we plan to push these little boxes to their limits.....
Luckily we had a contingency plan................... PLAN B.
We can still achieve the same overall outcome, Maybe Plan B should have been our first choice.
Stay tuned to see the outcome of PLAN B................